Most of the time, talking about teeth can be a little boring or sometimes just downright weird. We here at DC Dental like to make going to the dentist an enjoyable experience, so we thought we could share some interesting and fun facts about teeth and dentistry. Take a look:
1) Love Your Teeth Day, China: Every year, on September 20th, the People’s Republic of China celebrate “Love Your Teeth Day,” a day where citizens promote oral awareness and health.
2) First Brush: The very first modern-day toothbrush was invented by American H.N. Wadsworth in 1857. The brush used three rows of serrated bristles with large tufts.
3) Spit happens: Most humans produce 25,000 quarts of saliva in their life, which is enough to fill two swimming pools.
4) Snails Face: While the snail’s mouth is typically no larger than the head of a standard pin, it can have over 25,000 teeth.
6) Roman Clean: It’s thought that in 200 A.D., the Romans used a combination of oyster shells, egg shells, honey, and bones as a way to clean their teeth.
7) Elephant in the Room: On average, an elephant’s tooth measures across one foot and typically weighs over 6 lbs.
8) 6-foot Rule: The six foot rule claims that a toothbrush should always be at least 6 feet away from the nearest toilet… for obvious reasons!
9) Tooth thirds: Did you know that only one third of your tooth is beneath your gums?
10) Milk Teeth: Our teeth start developing before we are even born! “Milk teeth” or baby teeth start to form when we are in the womb and start to become visible between 6-12 months after birth.